Friday, July 24, 2015

Review: Cress by Marissa Meyer

[Warning: Minor Spoilers Ahead]

Add to Goodreads
Goodreads Summary:

In this third book in the Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Captain Thorne are fugitives on the run, now with Scarlet and Wolf in tow. Together, they’re plotting to overthrow Queen Levana and her army.

Their best hope lies with Cress, a girl imprisoned on a satellite since childhood who's only ever had her netscreens as company. All that screen time has made Cress an excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she’s just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice.

When a daring rescue of Cress goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but it comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has.

It's been quite a while since I read this book, and I've read quite a bit of other material in the meantime. Although I remember thoroughly enjoying the story, the details as to why are no longer so clear in my mind. But I will do the best I can to share my feelings and thoughts about it with you all.



Pros:

I have stated this before and I will say it again--Marissa Meyer does a great job blending well-known fairy tales with original plot and characters. In this case, Cress, the title character, acts as Rapunzel, trapped in a satellite orbiting Earth instead of a tower in the middle of nowhere. Now, I have read the original Rapunzel story numerous times, yet I was still shocked and horrified by how it was weaved into this novel. The plot twists felt as real as if I were hearing Rapunzel for the first time.

The evil Queen Levana has been using Cress and her incredible computer skills as a means of spying on the Earthen goings-on. But Cinder and the rest of the gang from the last two books decide to rescue her, knowing she can help with their cause. Unfortunately, as the summary states, the plan doesn't turn out as expected, leading the band of heroes to be split up. Switching between multiple storylines can often be confusing in books, but again, Marissa Meyer weaves them together expertly. I could easily keep track of each person's timeline.

And Cress and Thorne! *stares dreamily into space* I think they are the most adorable couple yet. I ship this way harder than either Scarlet and Wolf or Cinder and Kai. Cress is awkward and socially unskilled, but sweet and caring. Thorne is wonderfully protective but has a wry sense of humor much like Han Solo from Star Wars. As they carry each other through unbelievable hardship and trial, I found myself growing incredibly attached to them as characters.

Otherwise, the usual reasons for liking a novel apply. The worldbuilding is phenomenal, plot twists are around every corner, the danger feels real and vivid. One portion of the ending is so sad I nearly cried, plus there is the mandatory cliffhanger. ;)

Cons:

Um....can I leave this empty? I honestly can't think of anything to put here.
  
I genuinely adored this book and the tempting glimpses I got of the character Winter makes me crave the upcoming sequel even more.

Now I’m going to do a breakdown of each element of the series, judging it on different criteria. I’ll rate each element on a scale of 1-5, 1 being bad, and 5 being amazing.

Plot: 5

Complexity: 5
Creativity: 5
Believability: 4
Surprise: 4

Characters: 5

Depth: 5
Personality: 5
Believability: 5

Writing Style: 4

Description: 4
Tension: 5

Overall Score: 5

Happy Reading!

Sarah

2 comments:

  1. Cress was my favourite of the series so far.
    I can't wait for Winter!
    Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree, Cress is the best of the series so far. And I am SO looking forward to Winter too. :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete